Fellows of the American College of Dentists light the path forward for all those in the oral health profession. Chosen for leadership, model ethics, and service to the profession and to society, our members are thoughtfully selected through a thorough vetting process. ACD Fellows make up a small percentage of all dental professionals in the United States.
Nominees submitted by Fellows in good standing are reviewed once a year by a committee of the College with all of their nominators’ identifying information removed in order to avoid choosing new Fellows based on internal relationships rather than on merit or potential. Young dentists are reviewed for the trajectory they are on, rather than on dental school accomplishments. Accepted nominees are notified, along with their nominators, around May 1 each year, and the annual Convocation of New Fellows is held in the fall of each year.
The membership process does not end with Convocation. ACD Fellows work at the local level with their Sections to bring the ethos of the College to their communities, write on matters of interest for the Journal of the American College of Dentists, speak on ethics and leadership panels, and continue to be models and mentors for others in the profession.
- Fellows in good standing may nominate colleagues at any point during the year.
- Nominations received prior to the year’s deadline will be considered for the next Convocation. Nominations received after the year’s deadline will be held for the following year.
- Successful nominations clearly demonstrate the nominee is a leader in dentistry and/or their community.
- Successful nominations of dentists early in their careers clearly demonstrate a trajectory of leadership and do not rely on dental school accomplishments.
- Successful nominations are thorough and complete. The nomination portfolio is used for the review process, and CVs or other supplemental submissions will not be considered.
- Nominator’s statements provide insights that might not be readily construed from reviewing the nominee profile page.
The nomination window for 2019 has closed. Nominations for our Centennial Celebration Annual Meeting and Convocation in Orlando, Florida in October of 2020 are now being accepted.